Click here to return to Messiah College's homepage

 

Campus Centers

 

Alumni Auditorium

Alumni Auditorium

Alumni Auditorium

In 1933, president C. N. Hostetter Jr. began construction of the Alumni Auditorium, a facility designed to house an auditorium, gymnasium, and dining hall. More than $35,000 was needed to complete the project, and Hostetter launched a student- and employee-giving campaign. Raising funds was especially difficult because of the stress of the Great Depression. But, Hostetter received enthusiastic support from students who raised funds by selling Christmas cards, donating earnings from concerts, and selling auditorium chairs.

 

The Brethren in Christ Church was less enthusiastic about the venture because they considered a venue for sports to be unnecessary and worthless. One woman even claimed that she didn't’t have $5 to donate towards the construction, but she definitely had $5 to help tear the building down. Hostetter reassured church leaders that intercollegiate sports would not be played in the auditorium. The building was completed in 1937.

 

Eisenhower Campus Center

Eisenhower Campus Center

Eisenhower Campus Center

The Eisenhower Campus Center, named after Jacob F. Eisenhower, a respected Brethren in Christ minister and grandfather of President Dwight D. Eisenhower, was completed in 1972. At the time, it was the largest and most ambitious building project in the College’s history. The Center houses the College’s main dining hall, Lottie Nelson; Brubaker Auditorium and gymnasium; the bookstore; a snack shop; and campus offices, including the post office. In the past, the Eisenhower Campus Center also featured a bowling alley and game room.

 

Larsen Student Union

Larsen Student Union

Larsen Student Union

The Larsen Student Union is the newest building on campus. Completed in 2004, it is designed to be a social hub for students. Often referred to as the “living room” of campus, Larsen features a cafĂ©, offices for student organizations, a small recreation area, a performance stage, and plenty of study and lounge space.

 

The building is named for Dorothy and Ralph Larsen who provided generous financial leadership to the project.

 


Share a Memory
Wallpaper
Trivia

100 ways

Centennial Merchandise