German at Messiah College
Immerse yourself in the German language, culture and literature both at Messiah and abroad.
As a German major at Messiah College, you’ll experience a four-week intensive German language course in at Internationales Kulturinstitut at Vienna, Austria, followed by one or two semesters at the Philipps Universität in Marburg, Germany. Between semesters in Germany, you may complete an internship with a German company.
Here at Messiah, you’ll find yourself immersed in German language, culture and literature. Our faculty, who have studied and lived in German-speaking regions of the world, provide challenging coursework that will develop your linguistic competence and critical skills, as well as provide a profound appreciation of the culture and civilization of the German-speaking people. As the international demand for students with advanced training in modern languages and cultures increases, employers seek Messiah College graduates for their firsthand experiences, linguistic competence and communication skills.
German major distinctives
As a German major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Choose a secondary major or two minors. (The German major at Messiah is a 42-hour requirement.)
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significance. Other courses consider the political, social and cultural histories of the German-speaking people.
- Travel with classmates and faculty on a three-week cross-cultural trip to Germany for further cultural and linguistic immersion.
- Use our state-of-the-art Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory that offers you the ability to improve your listening comprehension, speaking, and pronunciation skills.
- Take regular university courses in literature, history, and politics, bible, theology, physical education, art, theater, psychology, and other areas at Philipps Universität.
Career options for German majors
As a graduate of the German program, students are equipped to secure positions in areas such as:
- High school education
- Higher education
- International business
- Foreign service as translators and interpreters
For more information on career planning for the German program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for German majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of German internships. A few examples include:
- Internships in Germany during semester abroad
- Braun Corporation, Allentown
- Brethren Colleges Abroad, Elizabethtown
- Messiah College Education Abroad office
- Students completing the German teaching certification also complete the required student teaching experience.
Learn more about the Department of Modern Languages
- The Department is accredited nationally through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- State-of-the-art technology with extensive language software is available in the Beatriz Howe language lab.
- Modern language students take an intensive semester in Paris, France; Marburg, Germany; China; Valparaiso, Chile; or Barcelona, Spain.
- Teaching certification is available in French, German and Spanish languages.
- Language proficiency is evaluated according to the guidelines of the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Students learn how to think and read critically, speak clearly and interact with others around the globe.
- Professors lead cross-cultural courses, conduct research, publish and present papers nationally and internationally.
- Among our professors is one who is a translator and interpreter; another who has transcribed books; and several who have studied, taught, traveled, worked and lived abroad.