- Music Education (B.S.) with K-12 Teaching Certification
Music Education (B.S.) with K-12 Teaching Certification
Become one of the many successful teachers, performers, conductors, composers, or church musicians who began their careers at Messiah College.
If teaching music is your goal, then a degree from Messiah College’s renowned music education program is a definitely a step in the right direction. At Messiah, you'll excel in your own performing area while learning basic performing skills in keyboard, voice, and approximately 15 musical instruments.
You'll design music curricula, evaluate progress, and utilize recent technology including computer-assisted instruction—all within a Christian worldview and led by faculty mentors who are committed to your success. As a graduate of Messiah College’s music education program, you will be fully prepared for a rewarding career in vocal and instrumental music in grades K-12, church music, private teaching, performance, or other music-related careers.
As a music education major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Present a senior recital and participate in professional recording projects.
- Develop leadership skills through courses in conducting and rehearsal direction.
- Enhance your performance styles by learning about the historical and cultural setting of individual composers and specific musical works.
- Gain direct performance experience through involvement in chapel, recitals, traveling ministries, theatre, and more.
- Take courses such as Sight Singing and Ear Training, History of Music, and Conducting.
- Achieve the technical and expressive skill needed to perform at an advanced level with your chosen instrument.
- Analyze music both visually and aurally and compose pieces that illustrate a variety of styles and forms.
- Join one of several music-related student organizations such as MENC (Music Educators' National Conference) student chapter, or ACDA (American Choral Directors' Association) student chapter.