Messiah College’s Medical Leave policy is designed to provide relief and alternatives for students who suffer from a physical or psychological condition that severely impacts their ability to complete their work on time, or at all. Several factors need to be considered when a student is thinking of requesting medical leave. Below, we provide links to documents that explain the policy in summary fashion and in more detail.
A student wishing to be considered for medical leave should contact Dr. Philip Lawlis, Director of The Engle Center for Counseling and Health Services, at 717.796.5357. The student will then be given a request form to complete and asked to supply documentation of their physical or mental health condition.
A student/family member cannot initiate medical leave without first consulting with the Director of Counseling and Health Services.
Medical Leave Policy
- Summary of the Medical Leave Policy This summary provides the most important points about the policy for those who are considering medical leave.
- Complete Medical Leave Policy This addresses all the various considerations in deciding about taking medical leave.
Requesting Medical Leave
- Medical Leave Request Form This form cannot be submitted except in consultation with the Director of Counseling and Health Services (or his designee). This link is provided for cases where students are unable to meet in person with the Director and need to download a copy of the form. Please be sure to complete all blanks on the form and circle the correct response to the two questions about teacher certification and disciplinary proceedings. Once you have returned the form and the Director has approved your leave, he will contact the Registrar and will send you a letter summarizing the expectations for your successful return to class.
Return the completed form to:
Philip J. Lawlis, Ph.D
Director of Counseling and Health Services
One College Ave. Suite 3028
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
Returning from Medical Leave
At the time a student is granted medical leave status, s/he is given instructions on a) what is expected of the student while on medical leave, and b) what must be provided by the student to be considered for return. Instructions for students wishing to return from medical leave are available here:
The following forms must be completed and submitted to the Director of Counseling and Health Services in order to be considered for return to class. Delay in receiving any form will result in subsequent delay in approval of the student’s return.
- Form A: Release of Information from Engle Center to Home Provider
- Form B: Release of Information from Home Provider to Engle Center
- Home Healthcare Provider Recommendation to Return
The following checklist is provided as a helpful tool for students to keep track of required documents that need to be submitted for return from medical leave: