Department of Human Development and Family Science Outstanding Alumni Award (New 2013)
2013 Award Recipient
Sarah J. Daniels
For over 9 years Sarah (McDonald) Daniels '06 has boldly advocated for vulnerable individuals and families in her community. She continuously embraces her education, passion and talents to proactively influence societal change and connect organizations with the resources necessary to fulfill their missions. Here is an overview of Sarah’s many accomplishments that have afforded her this award:
- Intern as a Legal Advocate at the YWCA of Greater Harrisburg advocating for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Housing Manager for the Domestic Violence Center of Chester County where she helped 14 women and their 36 children navigate paths toward self-sufficiency
- Big Brothers Big Sisters member where she managed over 100 mentoring relationships for at-risk youth and coordinated volunteer retention effort
- Obtained a Certificate in Nonprofit Fundraising from Delaware County Community College and a Master’s Degree in Nonprofit Management for Eastern University
- Director of the Elite Charitable Foundation where she oversaw grant making to nonprofits serving children and families
- Development Coordinator for the Garage Community & Youth Center where she raised over $69,500 of funding from brand new funding sources and developed and implemented program evaluation tools to more effectively capture the organization’s impact in the community
Nominate yourself or another Human Development and Family Science/Family Studies, Family and Consumer Sciences/Home Economics or Behavioral Science graduate for the 2013 Human Development and Family Science Outstanding Alumni Award.
Candidates must be five years removed from graduation and must show evidence of significant professional leadership and a legacy of distinguished contributions to the service of individuals and families. Nominations should be submitted by Feb. 15, 2014.
Email completed Outstanding Alumni Nomination Form to Dr. Raeann Hamon at email@example.com or her Administrative Assistant, Debbie Chopka at firstname.lastname@example.org or print and mail to: Messiah College, One College Avenue Suite 3047, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.