Messiah College Council on Family Relations (MCCFR)
What is the Messiah College Council on Family Relations (MCCFR)?
MCCFR stands for Messiah College Council on Family Relations, is an affiliate council of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR), and is a nationally recognized student professional organization dedicated to service, professional development and social activities. MCCFR is recognized by Messiah College’s Student Government Association as an official college organization and receives the privileges as such. For a PDF copy of MCCFR's brochure, click here. For a hard copy of this brochure, contact Debbie Chopka with your request.
MCCFR is run by an Executive Board which is comprised of at least nine student officers elected each spring by their peers to fulfill specific positions throughout the following academic year. Those positions include President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Chaplain, Membership Committee Chair, Mentor Network Chair, NCFR Conference Coordinator, and Membership Representative. Dr. Raeann Hamon serves as the Faculty Advisor to MCCFR.
For an overview description of each of the positions on the executive board, click here.
Check out our facebook page and LIKE us!
Current Officers (2013-2014)
- To serve and strengthen individuals and families, primarily through conducting at least one service project per semester.
- To provide an arena where students can share and explore their career interests, goals, and options.
- To encourage student members to incorporate the Christian faith into their study of and practice with families.
- To recognize the value of affiliating with professional organizations in order to further enhance career skills.
- To interact with Human Development and Family Science graduates in order to learn from their experiences and gain their insights.
- To sponsor at least one social event per semester where students and faculty can interact with one another.
What Kinds of Things Does MCCFR Do?
MCCFR is an active student organization that strives to provide unique opportunities for the students in the Department. Be sure to check the Department’s Events Calendar for specific events. Generally, some of their annual activities include:
- Planning student/faculty social gatherings
- Organizing various fundraisers to offset conference expenses
- Spearheading student attendance at the national conference (NCFR)
- Volunteering at the regional conference (Building Strong Families Conference)
- Co-sponsoring career panel conversations with Department alumni
- Participating in Service Day and Relay for Life
All Messiah College Human Development and Family Science and Family and Consumer Sciences Education majors, minors, and faculty are automatically members of MCCFR. Students from other majors on campus are also welcome to join. There is no official application form or membership fee. All are encouraged to attend as many MCCFR events as possible.
National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) is the parent organization to MCCFR. NCFR is an international organization founded in 1938 to provide a forum for family professionals to plan and act together on concerns relevant to families. NCFR provides many opportunities and resources for family scientists, for students and new professionals in family science-related majors, and for community family life educators and counselors. You can learn more about NCFR from their website.
For more information, to ask any questions, or offer any suggestions you may have, please contact the MCCFR President, Megan Dubbs.