International Students

Graduate and Adult Degree International Students at Messiah University

Messiah University graduate programs consider applications submitted by non-U.S. citizens/international students. Due to governmental regulations, international students who wish to study full time in the United States must be aware that it is not possible to obtain an F-1 student visa for our degree programs (including our Doctor of Physical Therapy, Master of Occupational Therapy, and Dietetic Internship program). If the program you are pursuing requires an on-campus intensive as part of the curriculum, Messiah University may be able to issue you the required paperwork for you to obtain a visa for the intensive portion of the coursework only. Our MBA, Master of Strategic Leadership, and certain content areas in the MEd are conducted entirely online and can be completed from the student's home country. 

Messiah University adult degree programs can be completed completely online. Students cannot obtain an F-1 student visa for our BBA program. 

Please contact with further questions.

International Degrees and Transcript Evaluations

Messiah University requires a course-by-course evaluation of international transcripts including a conversion of the GPA to the United States' grade point average system.  In addition, transcripts in a language other than English must be translated into English.  While there are several services that complete these evaluations, Messiah University highly recommends that all international transcripts be evaluated by World Education Services, Inc.  If utilizing WES, please order the WES Basic Course-by-Course Evaluation (fees are paid directly to WES when the evaluation is ordered).  If the WES Basic Course-by-Course Evaluation is ordered, there is no need to send an additional copy of your official international transcript to Messiah University, the WES Evaluation will suffice.  All transcripts and evaluations should be sent electronically to Messiah University to

English Language Proficiency Requirements

All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. International students can demonstrate proficiency by submitting official test scores from TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or the Duolingo Test. Messiah's official minimum score for the TOEFL is an 80 ibt or 550 pbt. The official minimum score for the IELTS is a 6.5. The official minimum score for the Duolingo Test is 105 minimum. 

  • TOEFL:  On the internet-based test (iBT), composite score of 80 minimum.  On the revised paper-delivered exam (introduced in 2017), score of 20 minimum in each of the Reading, Listening and Writing sections. On the old paper-based test (PBT), total score of 550 minimum. 
  • IELTS:  Overall band score of 6.5 minimum.
  • Duolingo English Test Score of 105 minimum.

Test scores must be from the last two years or more recent.  Photocopies of score reports will not be accepted.   TOEFL scores should be sent directly to Messiah University (code 2411) from ETS. IELTS scores should be mailed to Messiah University Graduate Programs.  International applications are not considered complete until Messiah University Graduate Programs receives official TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo scores.  An offer of admission cannot be made nor can a visa document be issued if an application is incomplete.  If your score does not meet the requirement, we cannot issue the document, and you will not be able to enter the country.


The TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo English Test requirement may be waived if the applicant meets at least one of three criteria:

  1. Native citizens of the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada (except Quebec) do not have to meet the test requirement. Students who are citizens of India, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore or British Commonwealth countries are NOT exempt from the TOEFL requirement.
  2. Students who have studied full time for at least two academic years within the last five years in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand, or with English language instruction in Canada.  Transcripts are required that demonstrate that this requirement has been met. 
  3. Students who have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand, or Canada (except Quebec).

If you have questions about your English language proficiency, contact