Friday, May 12, 2017
Category: New programs
Messiah College School of Graduate Studies adds occupational therapy and physical therapy programs
NOTE: This news also appeared in Central Penn Business Journal.
Messiah College School of Graduate Studies is pleased to announce the addition of Master of Occupational Therapy and Doctor of Physical Therapy degrees to its graduate programs. Both will be full-time, residential programs held at Winding Hill, an educational facility custom-designed for occupational therapy and physical therapy coursework and instruction.
About the programs
Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) – Messiah College’s MOT program is designed to successfully prepare students to serve as occupational therapists in a variety of professional settings. The program’s curricular focus is on community service and leadership development, and it incorporates cultural relevancy and global engagement. The MOT is an 80-credit, full-time, residential program. Classes start July 2017. Learn more about Messiah’s MOT here.
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) – Messiah College’s DPT is designed to prepare competent therapists for meaningful careers as practitioners, educators, administrators and consultants in a variety of professional settings. The program’s curricular focus incorporates community service, cultural relevancy and global engagement. The DPT is a 110-credit, full-time, residential program. Classes start August 2018. Learn more about Messiah’s DPT here.
MOT and DPT educational facilities
Course and lab work for the MOT and DPT will be completed at Winding Hill, a newly renovated, state-of-the-art 32,000 square-foot educational center in Mechanicsburg. The facility offers newly designed laboratory and classroom spaces, including:
- Activities of daily living apartment – Winding Hill has a full-size apartment with universal design for activities of daily living.
- Pediatric lab – Students will have use of a fully equipped lab that simulates a pediatric clinic with sensory integration equipment, climbing wall, indoor play gym and other therapeutic equipment.
- Cadaver lab – Winding Hill features a fully equipped cadaver lab.
- Exercise and cardiopulmonary lab – The exercise and cardiopulmonary lab provides in-house opportunities for students to practice their skills.
- Neuromuscular lab – Students will practice hands-on skills for common neuromuscular problems and dysfunction and learn assessment and interventions as part of the patient/client management model.
- Musculoskeletal lab – Students will gain understanding of musculoskeletal anatomy and how diseases or disabilities effect these systems.
- Dedicated research rooms – These rooms will house equipment to assess and measure balance, gait patterns and functional movement.
- Multipurpose rooms – Winding Hill features dedicated space for occupational analysis, splinting, and assistive technology.
About Messiah College and the School of Graduate Studies
Messiah College, a private Christian college of the liberal and applied arts and sciences, enrolls more than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Established in 1909, the primary campus is located in Mechanicsburg, Pa., near the state capital of Harrisburg. Messiah College School of Graduate Studies includes eight master’s degrees, two doctoral degrees, and numerous graduate certificates and post-master’s certificates. Learn more about Messiah’s graduate programs here.