The city of light is host to ISA's three study abroad programs in Paris.
- The internationally known Sorbonne is the perfect place for French majors and strong language speakers to enhance their language skills while taking classes with French students.
- The Catholic University of Paris offers French language classes as well as courses in culture, art, theater, literature, communications, and history. Courses are taught in French and English depending on the specific course.
- Finally, students can choose to study at the American Business School Paris where courses primarily are taught in English. Students live with host families and participate in educational excursions with the program.
To learn more about a faith-based experience in Paris, check out Veritas Paris.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
ELI - Faith Integration
It is important for Messiah College students to grow in their faith while studying abroad. Since ISA programs do not have a faith component, students will do the following as part of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements in partnership with their ELI Advisor:
- Prior to their experience, students will submit a 1-2-page plan outlining the prominent faith traditions of the country they will be studying in and outlining their plan for integrating and exploring their faith during their semester abroad.
- While abroad, students will electronically submit (in Terra Dotta) at least six journal entries (minimum two paragraphs each) on their personal faith journey in their cross-cultural context, which could include a comparative reflection on cultural practices of Christianity in the new culture (or absence of religious practices) versus their home culture. (ex. syncretism through cultural lenses; cultural views of Christ in wealth versus poverty; insights of faith drawn from another cultural point of view, etc.)
- Students who do not complete the above components will be placed on chapel probation the semester after they return.
Note: This is effective starting fall 2017.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Juniors and seniors
- 2.75 GPA or higher
- French majors or minors must complete four semesters of college level French before participating in the program.
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to communicate or meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
Know Before You Go - Challenges
Off-Campus study is a time of challenge and change. The following are some things you should understand about this program before you participate:
- Parisians are generally not as accustomed to accommodating mental health needs related to learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, etc.
- Students should be prepared to walk quite a bit.
- Students with physical disabilities will likely find that the city (and country in general) is not as accessible as they may be used to at home (i.e. lack of elevators in buildings/métros, older, cobblestone streets, etc.).
- The language barrier can be difficult in Paris, and students may perceive a less welcoming climate if they do not speak the language (at least basics/pleasantries).
- There are often strikes in Paris that may affect transportation, housing, academics, etc.
- The French are much more open about discussing or even arguing about provocative issues such as politics.
- Most buildings in Paris will not have air conditioning.
- There have been recent terrorist attacks in Western Europe and specifically in Paris
Courses may meet general education or major requirements.
Courses will come back on your transcript with a letter grade
During their college careers, students may take a maximum of four courses on a pass/fail (P/F) basis with these conditions:
-Such a course must be from a discipline other than those required for the student's major or minor.
-Courses fulfilling requirements for a major, minor, or general education may not be used.
-Students may declare their intention to take a course under the Pass/Fail option when they register or through the first calendar week of classes at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grade system during this same time period. The selection cannot be changed after the first calendar week of classes.
-The cut-off point to obtain a P is C–.
-The instructor will submit only conventional letter grades to the Registrar's Office. This office will then convert the grade to P or F. (An instructor does not know which students are taking a course on a pass/fail basis.
Note: Students must declare their intention to take a course under the pass/fail option when they register or during the first FIVE DAYS days at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grading system during this same time period. The selection on record after the first week of classes cannot be changed.
Messiah tuition, room, board and student services fee plus $1,310 off-campus study fee*
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
- tuition, housing, breakfast and five dinner meals weekly for students in homestays
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
- Students choosing the extended semester option will pay an additional $1,000.
- Students choosing apartment housing will also be required to place a $750 refundable deposit directly to ISA. Meals are not included in this option.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from this program
Credit Limit Policy for Semester-Long, Off-Campus Program
Typically when students study off-campus in Messiah-approved, semester-long programs, students earn between 13 and 18 credits. All students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits.
The tuition/fees charged for Messiah’s approved study abroad programs permits a student to complete 12-18 credits. Additional tuition will be charged for credits over 18 and would be assessed after the official transcript is received/processed by Messiah.
Updated 09 January 2018
*Note: Off-campus study fee increases annual at the same rate as the yearly tuition increase.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring - April 1
ISA: Paris Deadline
- Fall - April 1
- Spring - October 15
Program and Travel Resources
- Centers for Disease Control: France
- "France 24"
- French visas FAQ
- "LeMonde" online news
- State Department: France
- State Department: Students Abroad
- Worldwide Factbook: France
ISA Study Abroad Social Media
|Did You Know?|
Parisian café©s post three tiers of prices: one for standing at the counter, one for sitting indoors, and one 'the most expensive' for sitting outside.
Parisians refer to the Eiffel Tower as "The Metal Asparagus".
France is 6 hours ahead of US eastern standard time.
About 10 percent of France's countryside has been designated national parkland.