Oxford Study Abroad Programme
Academically-strong students spend a semester at Oxford University participating in one-on-one tutorials with Oxford professors at New College, Christ Church, Trinity College and (Magdalen - Visiting Students Only). The 12 - 13 week program also includes five educational tours each semester. Students take two tutorials: typically a five-credit and a nine-credit tutorial during their time at Oxford.
Additional information available at Oxford Study Abroad Programme.
Dr. John Harles, Boyer 460, Ext. 6580
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Junior or senior
- 3.2 GPA or higher (3.6 for visiting students)
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah University:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to communicate or meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
Off-Campus study is a time of challenge and change. The following are some things you should understand about this program before you participate:
- Casual dress is strongly advised. Never wear t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops or baseball caps during tutorials. The British regard the wearing of baseball caps indoors as rude and even insulting.
- Sidewalks are uneven and students will be walking extensively around town.
- There have been recent terrorist attacks in Western Europe and specifically in England
Courses may meet major or minor requirements. In this program QuEST credits will be more of a challenge to obtain. Students will need to follow the instructions in this document.
Courses will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
During their university careers, students may take a maximum of four courses on a pass/fail (P/F) basis with these conditions:
- Such a course must be from a discipline other than those required for the student's major or minor.
- Courses fulfilling requirements for a major, minor, or general education may not be used.
- Students may declare their intention to take a course under the Pass/Fail option when they register or through the first calendar week of classes at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grade system during this same time period. The selection cannot be changed after the first calendar week of classes.
- The cut-off point to obtain a P is C–.
- The instructor will submit only conventional letter grades to the Registrar's Office. This office will then convert the grade to P or F. (An instructor does not know which students are taking a course on a pass/fail basis.
The first FIVE DAYS of your classes are critical:
Recognizing that courses change while abroad, a student is required to communicate to the Registrar’s Office within the first FIVE DAYS of classes if their Off-Campus Course Approval Form in Terra Dotta has changed since the original submission/approval. Specifically, if a student desires to change a course to a pass/fail instead of a letter grade, this must be approved by Messiah University Registrar’s Office within the first FIVE DAYS of classes at the host partner program.
Students are required to take no fewer than 12 credits towards their overall degree requirements and no more than 18 credits. These 12-18 credits include courses taken as pass/fail and letter grades. However, in addition to those 12-18 degree credits, students who would like to audit an academic course for no credit are permitted to do so for up to one 4 credit hour course for the sake of learning, cultural immersion or personal interest at no additional charge. This audited course will not appear on the Messiah University student’s transcript.
What do you pay?
TOTAL COSTS = Messiah tuition + Messiah room + Student services fee + $1,350 off-campus study fee*
*Note: Off-campus study fee increases annual at the same rate as the yearly tuition increase.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
For affiliate students, These Costs Include:
- tuition, housing
- educational excursions
- pre-departure and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
- student services fee
- Student Services fee includes access to various services available to all students, including internet access, the Learning & Writing Centers, Career Services, Disability Services, library, Department of Safety, Intercultural Office Off-Campus Programs, and other campus offices that provide services to students both on and off campus.
- Meals are not included.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from this program.
- There are significant additional fees (est. $7000) for students who wish to apply for Visiting Student Status.
- Additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
Credit Limit Policy for Semester-Long, Off-Campus Program
Typically when students study off-campus in Messiah-approved, semester-long programs, students earn between 13 and 18 credits. All students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits.
The tuition/fees charged for Messiah’s approved study abroad programs permits a student to complete 12-18 credits. Messiah University will process up to 18 credits. If a student completes more than 18 credits and would like the additional credits applied to their transcript, additional tuition will be charged for credits over 18 and would be assessed after the official transcript is received/processed by Messiah.
Updated 08 April 2019
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring - April 1
Oxford Study Abroad Programme Deadlines
- Fall - May 10
- Spring - November 1