The Mission of the Department of Nursing at Messiah University is to prepare baccalaureate and graduate professional nurses within the context of liberal arts and sciences from a Christian worldview for beginning and advanced professional nursing roles. The educational process facilitates the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to promote professional nursing excellence, interprofessional collaborative practice and lifelong learning. The distinctives of a Messiah University nurse include commitment to academic excellence, service to others with insight and creativity, compassion through cultural humility, caring leadership and reconciliation from a Christian worldview.
Goals of the Doctor of Nursing Practice program:
- Prepare doctoral-level professional nurses to provide leadership and service in promoting quality, holistic nursing care.
- Provide a learning environment where a Christian worldview of service and leadership is integrated toward a culture of excellence for life-long learning.
- Promote evidence-based knowledge for integration across learning environments and the healthcare system.
- Provide an educational foundation for advanced nursing practice and post-doctoral study.
- Provide student-centered, evidence-based teaching and learning for advanced nursing practice, leadership, service and reconciliation.
Goals of the Master of Science in Nursing program:
- Prepare master's-level professional nurses to provide ethical leadership and service by integrating knowledge into practice and applying quality principles for safe, holistic nursing care in advanced nursing roles.
- Provide a learning environment in which a Christian worldview of service, leadership and reconciliation emphasizes the use of scientific knowledge, critical thinking, effective communication and interprofessional collaboration to enhance nursing care and education directed at population health across diverse settings.
- Promote evidence-based knowledge for integration and dissemination across learning environments and the healthcare system.
- Provide an educational foundation for doctoral study and life-long learning.
- Provide student-centered, evidence-based teaching and learning for nursing practice, leadership, service and reconciliation.
Goals of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program:
- Prepare professional nurses to engage in interprofessional collaborative practice and provide holistic nursing care to persons, families, and communities.
- Provide an environment in which students are encouraged to develop and integrate a dynamic Christian worldview into their personal and professional lives.
- Provide an educational foundation for graduate study for students.
- Provide student-centered, evidence-based teaching and learning for nursing practice, leadership, service, and reconciliation.