Handshake is Messiah Univeristy's job and internship posting tool. Creating a company profile gives you the ability to post jobs, register for events, and interact with students.
First-time users will need to create an account. Please follow these steps:
- Click the button below and be sure to select the employer option
- Fill out your company profile and contacts
- You will then need to wait for approval from our office before taking further action
- After being notified of approval, start posting jobs, registering for events, and interacting with students
Once you have an approved account, you can login directly to Handshake: http://www.joinhandshake.com
Handshake is a tool that can boost your company's talent recruitment efforts. It gives you access to Messiah students who may be a perfect fit for your organization. It is an easy-to-manage platform to help you find the employees you need and want!
- Post job and internship opportunities
- Register for events such as the Career and Graduate School Expo
- Create on-campus interviewing schedules
- Connect with students
- Receive on-line applications
To post a job on Handshake:
1. Start by clicking Post a Job from your home dashboard:
You will now be asked to complete 4 steps: Job Basics, Job Details, Job Preferences, and Schools to post the job to. You don't have to fill out every field to create your job - required inputs will be identified with an asterisk (*). Note: the more fields you complete, the more well defined your job posting will be (and the more likely you’ll be to attract well-qualified candidates).
2. Let's start by going through Job Basics:
- Add a Job Title
- You'll see an option below to add an ATS / job code. If you select this option, you'll be able to add a tracking code to this job that matches the job on your own external site. It's useful as a reference number, but does not actually provide any additional functionality.
- If your company has Divisions set up, you'll see that option appear right below job title
- Require students to apply through an external website or applicant tracking system
- If you select "yes" for this option, you'll be able to input a url for them to apply through
- Note, they will still apply through Handshake first, but they will see your link to also apply through your own system as a required step.
- Display your contact information to students
- If you'd like students to see your name, or your name and email as a point of contact for this job, select either option. Otherwise you can always choose "Don't show my info"
- Add a Job Type
- Don't see the job type you're looking for? Choose "Show more options", and you'll see options for Cooperative Education, Experiential Learning, Fellowship, and Graduate School
- Add an Employment Type & Duration
- When selecting Temporary / Seasonal, you'll need to add both the start and end dates.
3. Once you're finished with Job Basics, choose Next along the bottom of your screen. Next we'll go through adding in your Job Details:
- Add a Description for your job
- If you copy and paste a description from your own website, we'll retain all of the formatting for you
- Choose Job Functions from the dropdown
- This helps students search for jobs by their functional area
- You can add a Job Salary if you'd like, however this is completely optional.
- You can also toggle the dropdown on the right between per year / per month / per hour, or mark the job as an unpaid position
- Enter a location for your job
- As you start typing the address, some suggestions will show up in the address field - you must select one rather than manually typing it in.
- This can be a specific office location, or a general city like "Chicago, USA"
- If this position is located in multiple locations you can select Add Another Location
- If your job is in the United States, you'll see an additional "Eligibility for international students" section appear. We'll talk about that below.
- Finally, choose which documents to require students to submit with their application
- As mentioned above, choosing a job location in the United States, will open up an "Eligibility for international students" section
- Select either of the options that appear, or read more about them with the additional links provided
4. Once you're finished with Job Details, choose Next along the bottom of your screen. Next we'll go through Job Preferences:
- Note: none of the preferences you add to this page will block students from applying for your job. But we will show you candidates that meet all of your preferences, and those who don't. You can learn more in our article on Job Preferences.
- Also note: all of these preferences are completely optional.
- Add a Graduation date range for your job by specifying the earliest and latest graduation date for qualified applicants
- Prefer to qualify students by School Year - like Freshman, Sophomore, Junior? You can select the link below to toggle to that option instead.
- Add a Minimum GPA value
- Choose which Majors would make a student qualified for your job. This step is discussed in more detail below.
- Finally, configure who should receive Applicant Packages, and with what frequency. We've also added additional details on this below.
- Setting up your Major Preferences
- So by choosing "Computer Science", I am mapping my major preference to each schools' individual term for "Computer Science"
- Even if it's name "Software Engineering" at a different school, it will still get bucketed into this major correctly
- Note: these majors are consolidated across every school on Handshake.
- Once you select a category (by clicking on the checkbox next to it), that category will expand to show the majors within it.
- All majors within a category will be selected by default. But I can remove them by simply clicking on the major I'd like to remove.
- In the image below, I've chosen to remove Library Sciences, User Experience, and Information System Management from the Computer Science category. I see that I've selected 5 of 8 majors.
- If you know of a very specific major at a school that you'd like to choose instead of our mappings, choose the link at the bottom:
- This will open up a modal to pick your school and major manually:
- Setting up who should receive Applicant Packages
- Email a summary - you'll receive one email once your job expires
- Email every time - you'll get emails each time a new student applies. If you choose this option, you can then specify whether you want every student who applies, or only students who match all of your preferences (Eligibility for international students, grad date / year, GPA, and Major).
- You'll see your name listed first. You can select (or remove) the following options:
- You can also add other teammates to receive packages by choosing from the dropdown. If you haven't added them as a contact yet, there will be + add new contact at the bottom of the dropdown.
5. Once you're finished with Job Preferences, choose Next along the bottom of your screen. Next we'll go through School selection:
- Add schools on the left, and you'll see them appear on the right in a table
- Note: if your company has not been approved to post jobs at a school, you will not see that school as an option. If you have not been approved at any schools, you can still create this job and come back later to add schools.
- If you'd like to post this job to all schools you've been approved at, select "Add All Schools" at the top
- Once you've added schools, you'll see a few options to manage them
- Remove a school - The (-) to the left of each schools allows you to remove it from the list
- Interview on campus? - selecting this will simply flag this job on the school side, as an employer potentially interested in interviewing. To actually request an on campus interview, please see the relevant help article.
- Apply start date - you can choose if you'd like to block students from applying to your job until a specific date.
- Expiration date - you can update the date that the job will expire at that school (and students will no longer be able to apply).
- Adding a Global apply start date allows you to update the job start date for every school on your list (it will overwrite previously set start dates).
- Adding a Global post expiration allows you to update the post expiration for every school on your list (it will overwrite previously set expiration dates).
6. You're all set! Choose Create on the bottom navigation to create and review your job
- Click on the link that you received to register for the career fair. (If you did not receive a link, log in to your Handshake account. On the left navigation bar click the word "Fairs". In the search field type in Messiah. A list of fairs will then appear. Choose the one of interest to you.)
- Click Log in to an existing Handshake account. If you do not have a Handshake account you will be prompted to create one.
- Once you login you will be taken to the career fair registration page.
- Click Register
- Select a booth option and add any extra items by clicking "Add an Item" and selecting the item you would like from the list
- Choose representatives count and the representative names who will be attending. If the representatives do not have accounts in Handshake and have not been added to your contact list, add them from this page by selecting "Create it here".
- Choose the form of payment you would like. Manual or Credit card are usually the forms of payment offered.
- Answer any additional questions from the Career and Professional Development Center and click Create Registration" when your registration is complete.
- You will know you have successfully registered if you see the View Registration option on the career fair instead of Register.
- If you would like to pay by credit card you will need to wait until your registration is approved. If you are paying via the manual method you will need to follow the instructions from Messiah.
- You will receive an invoice that looks similar to this:
- Click Pay Here which will take you to your career fair registration
- Click Pay Now to pay by credit card. If you are paying manually you will need to follow the instructions on the invoice and review your payment status.
- Enter your payment information to the popup and click the Pay amount button when you are ready to submit your payment.
- Click Interviews on the left navigation bar
- Click the Request Interview Schedule tab in the upper right corner.
- Use the step-by-step buttons (or the Next button) at the bottom of the screen to move to the next step.
- Select Request
- Your interview schedule will now be sent for approval to the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center. You will be notified when your schedule has been approved or declined
For more help please see Handshake.
If you need further assistance using Handshake, the Career and Professional Development Center would be glad to help.Please feel free to call 717-691-6016 or email us with any difficulties.
Handshake is also an excellent resource. For questions with the system, click on the support portal in the upper right hand corner of the site. There’s also technical support within the system that you can access via “chat” to answer any questions you may have.
Lastly your best resource is the help desk. It provides great tutorials and answers to commonly asked questions.