Careers in International Social Work
The following website have various job postings on careers in international social work
The United Nations
“The United Nations and its agencies are major players in international social welfare and the provision of multilateral assistance” (Borrmann, Klassen & Spatscheck, 2007)
• ECOSOC (Economic and Social Council) - purpose is to promote higher standards of living, full employment and conditions of economic and social progress and development
• UNICEF (The United Nations Children’s Fund) - goal is to improve the lives of children and youth in the developing world by providing community-based services in health care, social services, water supply, formal and conformal education and nutrition
• WHO (World Health Organization) - this agency monitors national health issues, works to control communicable diseases and set international health standards in areas such s drugs and vaccines.
• United Nations Fund for Population Activities - the largest source of funds for family planning related programs in developing countries around the world
• The United Nations High Commission for Refugees - provides protection, assistance and aid to refugees in transit.
• Food and Agricultural Organization and World Food Program - goal is to work towards global food security. The organization provides technical assistance and advice on agricultural planning, production and food distribution.
Borrmann, S. (2007). International social work: Social problems, cultural issues and social work education. Opladen: Barbara Budrich.