Get career ready!
ITC provides the opportunity to interact with alumni, parents, and friends of Messiah through panel presentations, company site visits, tours, and a networking reception! Check out memories from past Into the City trips and see our brochure for a visual program overview!
FOR THE FALL 2020 SEMESTER, WE WILL BE DOING A VIRTUAL TRIP TO CALIFORNIA!
The Career & Professional Development Center is pleased to announce its virtual Into the City trip to California! During the second week of October we will be featuring online career chats with numerous alumni from the CA region.
ITC California Schedule of Events:
(please note: the password for all events is ITCVirtual)
Netflix – Monday, October 5th, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
Speaker: Ashli Aldrich '04, Program Manager, Talent Mobility at Netflix
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_z7YpLkxbRbSLLgDTLkBYLA
"California Dreamin' - What its really like to live and work on the Golden Coast" – Monday, Oct. 5th, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pouLJ3oSQnWB_bRu0ewRyw
PFM Asset Management – Tuesday, October 6th, noon – 1:00 p.m.
Speaker: Lesley Murphy '05, Senior Managing Consultant
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZZrn-vBPQOqaHhN5L5944g
Google – Tuesday, October 6th, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Speaker: Kevin Gin '07, Software Engineer
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_srmy1BADSmWGbguHziJ4SA
Levi – Wednesday, October 7th, noon – 1:00 p.m.
Speaker: Tim Murphy '05, Director of Brand Operations
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KQYALeSxTpmwicspnzkONA
LinkedIn – Wednesday, October 7th, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Speaker: Elizabeth Gin ’08, Senior User Experience Researcher
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_47_5cIFuQqyNBrmTGvkutQ
Disney – Thursday, October 8th, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Speaker: Leah Pendorf '11, Consumer Insight Manager at Disney Parks, Experiences & Products
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qsRxbK75SsGnaFy4dydwjw
“Attending Graduate School in California” – Friday, October 9th, noon – 1:00 p.m.
Phoebe Chua ’16, Ph.D. Candidate in Informatics, UC Irvine
Anna Love ’16, Ph.D. Candidate in Chemistry, UC Irvine
Sarah Kistler ‘17, MA in Education, Azusa Pacific University
Elliot Rossomme ’17, Ph.D. Candidate in Physical Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yX1Fx_qaRwC5Nu9No8NYFw
“Working for Big Tech in the Silicon Valley" – Friday, October 9th, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Register at https://messiah.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_UsbNV2KYSnSgaDhg5HS2qw
ITC VIRTUAL CALIFORNIA - PROGRAM BENEFITS:
- Gain an inside perspective on many key organizations in CA
- Network with notable Messiah alumni
- Understand what it is like to live and work in CA
- Learn more about various job and internship options in the CA region
Overview of the Program (for typical semesters when we can physically travel to locations)
Into the City is an intensive career development and networking program intended to expose Messiah students to living, working, and connecting in the city. To accomplish this objective, students will have the opportunity to engage with alumni, parents and friends of Messiah through activities such as company site visits and tours, presentations and panel discussions, and a networking reception.
There will be representation from a variety of organizations, both corporate and non-profit. Regardless of your interest in the alums’ particular titles or employer affiliations, this experience offers transferable information that’s critical for a variety of career interests. We view this as an exploration and networking opportunity intended to provide insight and wisdom into your career planning and decision-making.
- Receive an orientation to city living, working, and community.
- Expand awareness of career options as they pertain to personal strengths and interests.
- Gain information on desired skills and experiences of successful job candidates.
- Get exposure to a variety of industries and an introduction to different hiring practices.
- Build confidence regarding career planning and decision making.
- Understand the importance and process of building meaningful connections in the city.
Who Should Apply?
Applicants are expected to demonstrate the following characteristics to be considered for participation in ITC:
- Eagerness for exposure to a variety of career opportunities and paths, along with a desire to learn from the transferable advice, regardless of major or specific interest area.
- Clear articulation of fit between personal career goals and objectives for the trip.
- Professionalism and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to positively represent the values and commitments of Messiah University.
- Flexible and positive attitude!
The cost per student to participate in the program is $70.00 (non-refundable). This includes transportation, overnight accommodations, and most meals. Students should bring along any additional spending money to use as they wish, which includes public transportation and meals not provided by the college during the trip.
- Accepted students must pay the full $70.00 to the Career and Professional Development Center. Checks can be made out to “Messiah University Career and Professional Development Center.”
- Accepted students must attend an orientation session.
- Accepted students must agree to participate in all aspects of the program as noted in the schedule.
- Accepted students must obtain approval from professors and make arrangements in advance to be absent from classes.
All applications are to be submitted by the due date The Into the City planning team will evaluate and select participants based on criteria sought in the application.