Many students enter college with questions about what major is best for them as well as how college will ultimately prepare them for their futures. At Messiah College, we are ready to walk alongside you on this journey of exploration, discernment and decision-making. To do this, we have developed a comprehensive network of resources and tools known as Explore U. Are you ready to join us?
You can get started on several of these steps now. The journey will continue when you get to campus!
Step One: GET CONNECTED
- Attend an Explore U session at an Open House event
- Meet with an Explore U academic advisor during an Accepted Student Preview Day
Step Two: ASSESS YOUR SKILLS and INTERESTS
- Read through and complete the exercises in the Explore U: Choosing a Major Guide
- Complete the self-assessment tools through FOCUS to gain insight into how your strengths and interests are compatible with academic majors and future career paths
- Schedule an appointment with a career coach in the Career and Professional Development Center to discuss your FOCUS results
Step Three: EXPLORE OPTIONS
- Gather information on courses required by majors of interest through academic department websites
- When you visit campus. meet with faculty that teach courses for majors in which you may be interested
- Explore career options through the “What Can I Do With a Major In…?” resource on the Career and Professional Development Center’s website
- Consider job shadowing professionals who are working in occupations that interest you
Step Four: TRY IT OUT
- Register for a course in a major that you are seriously considering
- Connect with a student club or organization to explore interests related to academics, campus activities, culture, faith, service and/or athletics
- Connect regularly with your Explore U advisor and, when you’re ready, work with your Explore U advisor to declare a major (it’s OK if you change your mind!)
- Talk with a career coach about potential internships or other related experiences
Step Five: KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Keep in mind that discerning your interests and future career path is a process. Through evolving self-awareness, exploration and “testing out” ideas, your plan may shift or change – that’s completely natural! Stay flexible, and take advantage of the rich resources and support persons who are ready to walk alongside you on your path to purposeful work.
- Check out the Career and Professional Development Plan through the Career and Professional Development Center to get a comprehensive view of resources and opportunities to help you achieve your future goals