Marketing at Messiah College
At Messiah, you get to “do” marketing through our flexible curriculum by writing real marketing plans, providing research services for businesses, and even participating in the sales component of marketing.
As a marketing major at Messiah College, you'll develop the ability to use your critical thinking skills and creativity to prepare marketing communication plans and develop advertising campaigns and provide research services for local nonprofit organizations. Campus organizations may even ask you to use your developing marketing skills to gather information and to promote their activities. You'll learn how to identify ethical issues related to marketing and to articulate personal responses that reflect your commitment to Christian principles.
Marketing major distinctives
As a marketing major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Study in a program named the #1 Best Business Degree Program for 2017 by Christian Universities Online.
- Travel abroad through a 3-week cross-cultural program, 10-week International Business Institute or a semester abroad.
- Take courses in consumer behavior, advertising, digital marketing, social media marketing, computer graphics, multimedia, and news writing.
- Experience real-world marketing opportunities through completing research and developing comprehensive marketing plans for on and off-campus clients.
- Participate in Messiah Business Alumni networking breakfasts to connect with other professionals in the business fields.
- Learn about marketing through a Christian perspective with a strong emphasis on social responsibility
- Participate in a wide variety of exciting internships in in sectors/organizations including advertising, sports, finance and manufacturing. Placements have included the Philadelphia Phillies and Hershey Foods.
- Apply what you’ve learned in the classroom to real world situations through the on-campus group Business Club.
Career options for marketing majors
As a graduate of the marketing program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- PR director
- Marketing development manager
- Account manager
- Marketing specialist
- Advertising executive
- Social media coordinator
- Brand manager
- Integrated marketing coordinator
- Market researcher
Internship opportunities for marketing majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of marketing internships. A few examples include:
- Advertising agencies
- Sports teams
- Financial organizations
- Corporate organizations
- Nonprofit organizations
What you’ll learn
You will learn how to facilitate mutually beneficial exchange, which meets both the needs of consumers and the goals of producers. To do so you’ll gain insight into key marketing strategies such as segmentation and targeting, competitive advantage, positioning and branding. You also will become familiar with marketing mix tactics related to product, place, promotion, and price. Most importantly, you’ll be inspired to practice marketing as a Christian calling in ways that are both effective and God-honoring.
As you learn more about the role marketing processes such as advertising, selling and communications play in the development of economies throughout the world, you'll gain an in-depth understanding about how the marketing process helps organizations focus their resources and attention on meeting customer needs and wants.
The marketing curriculum is very flexible, allowing students to take six credits of marketing electives in areas that align best with their individual marketing career interests.
Messiah College’s marketing program emphasizes learning by doing. Almost every marketing course involves experiential and service learning where students are not just passive observers, but active participants. For instance, in Marketing Principles, teams analyze the marketing practices of real organizations, offering recommendations for improvement. In Consumer Behavior, students utilize concepts from psychology and sociology to create original advertisements for nonprofit clients. Likewise, in Marketing Management & Strategy, teams create complete marketing plans for real organizations.
There also are many exciting opportunities outside of class including the Messiah College Marketing Club and internships with organizations like The Hershey Company and Martin's Famous Pastry Shoppe.
You will find our graduates working in a variety of high-level marketing jobs—the integrated marketing coordinator for a large Philadelphia-based advertising agency, a brand manager for Hershey Foods, a director of marketing for a health-care organization, a press secretary for a U.S. Congress member, a director of college services, etc. Some own their own businesses.
Our graduates also work as sales representatives, banking associates, merchandisers, sales managers, marketing planners and media buyers. Numerous opportunities are available allowing you, as a marketing graduate, to pursue the area of work that best fits your interests and skills. Graduate school is an option that many marketing graduates pursue, particularly after they have gained several years of work experience.
Our graduates finish MBA programs at schools like Penn State, Temple University, Drexel University, George Washington University and George Mason University. They graduate with honors from these distinguished programs. Others pursue law degrees or other graduate programs.