Studio Art (B.A. or BFA) at Messiah College
Develop your creative skills as you prepare for an exciting career as an artist in our accredited program!
The Bachelor of Art (B.A.) is intended for students who wish to experience a broad liberal arts education with an emphasis in the study of art and design. The Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA) is designed for students wishing to maximize their studio immersion, particularly for those considering the pursuit of a graduate degree (MFA). While it retains much of the liberal arts breadth of the B.A., its focus is upon studio practice and theory.
Studio art major distinctives
As a Studio Art major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Learn from noted artists through our visiting artists and lecturers each semester.
- Study with faculty who are practicing artists and have had their work featured in shows and publications across the country and throughout the world, and with an art historian who has worked in major museums and published extensively.
- Display your creative works regionally.
- Show your work at our yearly juried student art exhibition.
- Be well-prepared for graduate school (BFA program).
- Have the opportunity to participate in a practicum.
- Participate in the departmental honors program and/or independent study. opportunities for in-depth research and study.
- Build a solid body of creative work in preparation for your capstone senior art exhibition.
- As a senior have a dedicated studio space in the Frey Hall senior studios.
- Take our annual field trip to a major U.S. city to explore museums and galleries.
Career options for studio art majors
As a graduate of the studio art program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Studio artists
- MFA students
- Arts therapists
- Graphic designer
- Art director
- Studio assistant
- Museum professional
For more information on career planning for the studio art program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for studio art majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of studio art internships. A few examples include:
- Graphic design firms
- Public arts institutions
- Studio assistants
At Messiah College, one of the top private Christian colleges in the U.S., you’ll prepare for an exciting career in studio art by choosing from one of our three concentrations: graphic design and digital art, three-dimensional studies, or two-dimensional studies. Our program’s flexibility encourages you to take minors or double majors, such as history or marketing, so you can shape the studio art major according to your own specific areas of interest.
Our faculty and mentors
In the studio art program, you will learn from faculty who are practicing artists and have had their work featured in shows and publications across the country and throughout the world, and with an art historian who has worked in major museums. You’ll also learn from noted artists through our visiting artists and lecturers each semester.
The breadth and depth of our studio art major provide countless opportunities for you to test your creativity and hone your skills in graphic design, printmaking, papermaking, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, fibers and more. You can study off-campus at places including the Gordon Orvieto Program in Italy, or at Temple Rome. You’ll also display your creative works regionally; show your work at our yearly juried student art exhibition; and have the opportunity to participate in a practicum.
Professional and career opportunities for students completing this program include working as an artist, designer, photographer, illustrator, digital media designer, or other jobs that require visualization, creative problem solving, visual communication, and the production of visual materials, artifacts or media.