Below is a collection of resources that Writing Center tutors have found helpful. Be sure to visit us in person to meet with a Writing Center tutor and pick up some of our free handouts!
University of Richmond Writer’s Web: The writing process, with many helpful documents.
Purdue Owl: Everything from grammar help to style guides to citation resources.
- Writing Rescue Guide: An in-depth guide with links to other resources, including specific tools for college writing and links to successful college entry essays.
- 7 Ways to Overcome Writer's Block: Tips from Purdue University Global on how to write when you feel stuck.
- Common Questions: Videos from a former Writing Center Head Tutor answering commonly asked questions in regards to writing, such how to write a thesis or incorporate sources
- Oxford English Dictionary: In-depth dictionary with evolution of words and their meanings.
- Merriam-Webster Online: Dictionary and thesaurus; also fun quizzes and a selective free encyclopedia.
Style and Citations
- Not sure what citation style your professor prefers? Look no further! Click here for a comprehensive list of Messiah professor’s favorite styles.
- The librarians here at Murray Library are happy to help you with any questions regarding MLA, APA, or Chicago style and citation. They can also help you find sources for a research project.
- The Writer’s Reference is on Canvas and available to all Messiah students. You can find help on style, grammar, punctuation, and more in this book!
- The APA Style website is the most helpful website regarding APA style and grammar guidelines.
- The Purdue OWL (online writing lab) has many helpful resources for student writers regarding style, citation, and more.
- The MLA Style Center is a go-to stop for all MLA related questions because it reflects the most recent MLA edition.
- The Citation Machine. Just add the name of your source and get a citation with the click of a button! Please note that there may be some errors with any citation generator. Be sure to double-check. https://www.citationmachine.net
Helpful Hint: If you’re on a subject database such as Academic Search Ultimate, look for the “Cite” button to generate a citation right on the website!
- ESL Resources for Students: Links to resource topics including vocabulary, idioms, grammar and spelling.
- EnglishClub: Resources and games for understanding common grammar rules.
- Online copy of A Writer's Reference in Canvas: Detailed explanations of grammar rules.
- APA Style Grammar: Grammar for APA style
- Online copy of A Writer's Reference in Canvas: Detailed explanations and examples of in-text citations and reference/works cited pages for MLA, APA, and Chicago styles.
- The Essay Wheel (pdf) displays all essential elements of an academic essay. Check your writing against the wheel to make sure you're on the right track!
- You can ask for a librarian's help at the circulation desk or contact a librarian via the green chat button on Murray Library's website. Librarians are able to go through your formatting and citations with you, helping find errors or figure out especially tricky citations.
- In-Depth Guide to Writing Dissertations: Precision Consulting's guide to approaching dissertations, from planning to presentation.
- Career and Professional Development Center: Help writing professional documents, such as resumes and cover letters.