As a student in the Messiah University Department of Communication, you’ll want to make every moment count. Access to excellent facilities will help, including taking classes in beautiful Boyer Hall, digital editing labs in Murray Library and our film and media (television) production studio in the lower level of Hostetter. Significant investments in the latest equipment have also enhanced student learning. Parmer Cinema offers a top-notch space for screening films, and is home to our annual Splice Student Film Festival.
This organization houses the student-run media, where students can volunteer many communication skills including writing, photography, broadcasting, and design in both paid and volunteer positions. Opportunities include writing or taking photos for the magazine, running social media channels, DJ-ing for the radio station, and more. The four main sectors are:
Yellow Breeches TV (YBTV)
YBTV, our student-produced, student-run YouTube Channel, includes opportunities to get involved with weekly television programming. Falcon Update features the latest campus news, sports and events. YBLIVE offers interviews with student and employee campus leaders as well as live entertainment including music, dance, comedy and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Get involved with clubs and organizations on campus that will help to enhance your college experience. Some of the communication-related clubs include:
- Public Relations Student Society of America - Join the Messiah University Chapter of PRSSA and you’ll have the chance to grow professionally while forming lasting friendships and producing great portfolio materials.
- Lambda Pi Eta - Students with a high cumulative GPA may also be eligible for nomination into Lambda Pi Eta, a national communication honor society. LPE members complete a service project annually.
- YBTV (Yellow Breeches Television) - Students from a variety of majors produce weekly programs highlight news and event happening at Messiah.
- Cinemablography - Cinemablography is an academic journal, blog and forum for video graphic studies and essays, as well as an art archive all in one single website. Peer-reviewed content is original and produced entirely by MU undergraduates.
Internships and Practicum
As part of your required coursework, you’ll participate in at least one internship or practicum during your time at Messiah. Our central Pennsylvania location places Messiah in close proximity to the state capital, Harrisburg, and affords a wide range of internship opportunities (both paid and unpaid) with regional media, state government, corporations, nonprofits, and video production houses to meet your interests. Our award-winning Career and Professional Development Center helps you connect with potential employers to dive deep into career exploration through hands-on experiential learning.
Study through off-campus programs
Want to study abroad in a major specific program?
Stretch yourself further through one of the dozens of study abroad locations around the globe. To learn more about short-term and long-term cross-cultural opportunities, visit our intercultural options. You’ll also find some options in the United States that will fit major-specific courses to meet requirements in the department of communication.
Here are some options that will fit major-specific courses that will further your experience in the Department of Communication:
- Contemtorary Music Center- If the music industry interests you, the best semester program, CMC offers artist, technical and business tracks in Nashville, Tennessee.
- American Studies Program- ASP located in Washington D.C. offers a Strategic Communication track which caters to both communication and public relations majors (Spring Semesters Only).
- NYC Kings College - Broadcasting and Journalism students can spend a semester in the Big Apple exploring their discipline through classroom instruction, internships, and networking. Spend a semester in the major city and take advantage of all it offers as part of The King's College NYC Semester.