The Mission of the Young Writers Workshop at Messiah University:
- To enable students to become better writers in a safe and positive learning environment
- To develop a community of writers that is established during the week and endures beyond the week.
- To give students a foretaste of university experience and university level thinking and writing.
- To introduce students to Messiah University in a way that will encourage them to think about Messiah as a future academic home.
- To encourage students to understand the value of the humanities.
What You Will Learn
- Students will read and extensively discuss works of short fiction and poetry by Dickinson, Whitman, Chekov, and Dostoevsky and others.
- Students will learn to write original works of short fiction and poetry.
- Students will learn to read and respond to each other’s work effectively.
- Students will learn how to revise their work in response to their peers.
- Students will produce a portfolio of their own work and present a reading.
- Students will learn to live together in a supportive academic community.
- Students will learn more about what it is like to work in a university environment.
- Students will learn about the mission and values of Messiah University.
"This is so much more than a workshop. For the last four years, the workshop has consistently inspired me and led me to grow as a writer and as a person. The relationships I formed with peers and mentors alike are irreplaceable. No matter where my writing takes me in the future, I am so grateful to this workshop for reminding me why I started writing in the first place"
2018 Young Writers Workshop Graduate
Out of Class Learning Outcomes
- Students will learn to work collaboratively in a supportive academic community.
- Students will have the opportunity to share their poetry and unique talents with their peers.
- Students will learn about the mission and values of Messiah College.