The Graduate Program in Education at Messiah University is designed to advance the field of education by developing leaders, practitioners and collaborators whose growing commitment to reconciliation, justice, and the dignity of all people compels them to pursue excellence in their professional understanding and practice.
Graduates of the M.Ed. program with a track in TESOL, special education, online teaching or curriculum and instruction will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Analyze, evaluate, and respond to current trends and issues in education.
- Confront structural barriers that impede student learning.
- Apply ethical principles to complex problem-solving and decision-making.
- Conduct quality research to address issues in student learning.
- Recognize the broad vision of schools and their role in shaping school culture and practice.
- Promote collective responsibility for the well-being and development of all learners.
- Locate, evaluate, and apply appropriate educational research.
- Reflect on current practice and adapt as needed.
- Apply relevant, research-based learning theories to educational contexts.
- Differentiate instruction to promote learning for all students.
- Design instruction and assessment for in-person and virtual classrooms.
- Demonstrate appropriate use of technology to support student learning.
- Use quality assessment data to inform instructional practices.
- Analyze, critique, and develop effective curriculum.
- Assess, modify, and develop curriculum.
- Develop and apply varied assessment and instructional strategies that are firmly grounded theory, research, and practice.
- Foster collaborative relationships among students, families, and educators to foster the well-being of all learners.
- Demonstrate intercultural competence.
- Communicate effectively with a broad range of audiences.
- Recognize the sociopolitical realities of schools and work to empower all students and families.
- Prevent, manage, and resolve conflict within and between groups.
- Build and maintain hospitable professional environments.