FAQs about Education (M.Ed.)
Messiah University's Graduate Program in Education is designed for:
- those who have graduated from an accredited undergraduate institution;
- those holding or seeking teaching certification in PA;
- those who wish to become competent educators who are capable of working with a range of learners in varied settings;
- those who wish to effectively support all learners develop their leadership abilities in the field of education, and seek to build collaborative relationships within the education setting;
- those who are interested in exploring how the Christian faith is related to the teaching profession;and
- those who wish to be educated and prepared by experienced, Christian faculty members who are committed to educational excellence.
- 7-12 Education – Those holding a bachelor’s degree or higher seeking initial teaching certification in PA in one of the content areas aligned with grades 7-12.
- PK-12 Education – Those holding a bachelor’s degree or higher seeking initial teaching certification in PA in one of the content areas aligned with grades PreK-12.
- Special Education with Certification - Those holding valid Pennsylvania K-12 (instructional certification), early childhood education, elementary education, middle grades or reading specialist certification.
- Special Education without Certification - Those holding valid Pennsylvania certification in special education and wanting a master's degree and preparation in a specialized area (Autism Spectrum Disorders, Emotional and Behavior Disorders, Specific Learning Disabilities) or those who have a desire for other reasons to study the field of special education.
- TESOL with ESL Program Specialist Certification - Those holding any valid Pennsylvania certification who wish to earn a master's degree and ESL Program Specialist Certificate.
- TESOL without ESL Program Specialist Certification - Individuals interested in a master's degree in TESOL who already have or do not need to pursue the Pennsylvania ESL Program Specialist Certificate.
- Curriculum and Instruction - Individuals who may or not hold teaching certification and who want to enhance their effectiveness as education practitioners, leaders and collaborators.
Students can choose to complete a thesis or a project as their capstone experience.
Once your file is complete, your application will be reviewed. If an interview is warranted, you will be contacted for scheduling purposes. Once an admission decision has been made, you will be notified in writing.
Yes; in addition to the deferred billing for employer reimbursement option, there are other financial aid options available. Visit our financial aid page for more details.
Each track within the Master of Education program is designed to be completed in 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years, but you may take up to six years to complete the program. (Students are expected to be continuously enrolled from the time they begin their program.)
All of the courses, whether online or in the classroom, are taught by experienced Messiah University faculty who are active educators and accomplished scholars. Messiah’s faculty will mentor you to and encourage growth in your faith and your profession.
Visit our faculty profile page to learn more about the individual professors who teach in the graduate program in education.
Messiah University graduate coursework is a great option for you if you desire to take graduate level coursework for personal enrichment or professional development but are not interested in pursuing a master's degree or certificate. Our non-degree graduate-level courses provide you with the resources to develop skills and abilities that are essential to your continued success and professional goals. Coursework is offered online and in intensive formats to provide convenience and flexibility. You may earn up to 15 credits as a non-degree seeking student in all program areas except counseling (see Counselors and State Licensure) and nursing. After completing 15 non-degree credits, you must apply to a master's degree program or pursue a graduate certificate.
Read additional graduate program FAQs