Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Messiah College. We sincerely appreciate your willingness to serve with us. Please review the information below for more information on becoming a volunteer at Messiah College.
How do I become a Messiah College Volunteer?
In order to volunteer at the College, you must complete a Volunteer Packet at least two weeks prior to the start of the volunteer activity. The Volunteer Packet consists of the following forms:
- Volunteer Profile Form
- Background Check:
- Non-Collaboratory volunteers whose volunteer activity does NOT include interaction with minors: Consent for Volunteer and Background Checks Form
- Collaboratory volunteers AND volunteers who will be interacting with minors: submit the 3-phase background checks
- Volunteer Release Form
As a current employee of the College, may I volunteer additional services for special activities or events?
Employees may be considered to be providing unpaid volunteer services if:
- The additional services are NOT closely related to the employee's regular work assignment.
- The additional services are NOT required by the supervisor or another College employee.
- The employee is paid for volunteer time during normal working hours and is NOT required to make up time lost during the employee's regular work day for the volunteer assignment.
Are volunteers permitted to work with minors?
In general, volunteers should not be working with minors. Volunteer activity that includes interactions with minors requires more extensive background checks. If you have questions about which background checks are required for a volunteer assignment, please contact the Office of Human Resources & Compliance (HR&C) prior to completing these forms.
May a volunteer drive a College vehicle or transport Messiah College students in his/her car on College business?
A volunteer who is not also a Messiah College employee is not allowed to drive a College vehicle or transport any Messiah College students or employees in his/her car on College business. The exception to this rule is Collaboratory volunteers who have a higher level of involvement with students and projects and may have a need provide transportation to students. These Collaboratory volunteers will first be required to go through the online training process and apply for approved driver status.
May volunteers attend established appreciation events for employees?
Volunteers may attend an established appreciation event for other employees in the respective department(s). Please note that due to space constraints, we cannot accommodate volunteers at the Employee Recognition Reception or the Employee Christmas Luncheon.