Work at the Writing Center
Stay tuned! Additional information about applying to work at the Writing Center for the 2023-2024 academic year will be shared in early March.
If you are an undergraduate student who loves writing and has a passion for helping others, a job as a Writing Center tutor might be perfect for you! Writing Center tutors are trained to assist any undergraduate student with any writing task at any stage of the writing process. Tutors strive to help students become better writers rather than merely improving individual essays. If you have any questions about working at the Writing Center, please email us at email@example.com.
Writing Center Tutor Duties:
- Help students improve their writing skills in one-on-one sessions
- Maintain consistent, reliable attendance
- Attend mandatory weekly staff meetings
- Use empty session hours to work on professional development (e.g., running social media and creating handouts)
- Participate in various training activities
- Support the smooth running of the Writing Center
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Preferences:
- Must be at least a second semester first-year to apply
- Undergraduate students of all majors are welcome to apply
- Past experience visiting the Writing Center
- Past experience in formal or informal peer tutoring (e.g., tutoring at school or helping friends with papers informally)
- Excellent writing abilities, specifically in academic writing (i.e., thesis-driven papers and research papers)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to get along with coworkers
- Interest in writing and/or Writing Center theory and practice
- Openness to professional development and self-improvement
The Writing Center now offers Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) credit to interested tutors. For more information about ELI and the Writing Center, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.