Work at the Writing Center
The Writing Center is not accepting applications at this time. Please check again at the end of the fall semester. Thank you for your interest!
If you are an undergraduate student who loves writing and has a passion for helping others, a job as a Writing Center tutor might be perfect for you! Writing Center tutors are trained to assist any undergraduate student with any writing task at any stage of the writing process. Tutors strive to help students become better writers rather than merely improving individual essays. If you have any questions about working at the Writing Center, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing Center Tutor Duties
Qualifications and Preferences
- Help students improve their writing skills in one-on-one sessions
- Maintain consistent, reliable attendance
- Attend mandatory weekly staff meetings
- Use empty session hours to work on professional development (e.g., running social media and creating handouts)
- Must be at least a second semester first-year to apply
- Undergraduate students of all majors are welcome to apply
- Excellent writing abilities, specifically in academic writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to get along with coworkers
- Openness to professional development and self-improvement
- Participate in various training activities
- Support the smooth running of the Writing Center
- Other duties as assigned
- Past experience visiting the Writing Center
- Past experience in formal or informal peer tutoring (e.g., tutoring at school or helping friends with papers informally)
- Interest in writing and/or Writing Center theory and practice
The Writing Center now offers Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) credit to interested tutors. For more information about ELI and the Writing Center, please email us at email@example.com.