The CPDC invites you to check out the new Career Studio! You can now be served on the spot Monday-Friday between 10 AM-4 PM – no appointment necessary.
We are eager to assist you with all of your career exploration and planning needs. Topics include: choosing/changing a major, exploring career options, planning for an internship, searching for a job, applying to graduate school, resume writing, and interviewing. Bring a friend, grab a free cup of coffee, and make yourself at home!
You can also schedule an appointment through the Handshake portal. Use your Messiah username and password to access the system.
If you need assistance, call us at 717-691-6016 or stop by the office.
We are located in the Eisenhower Campus Center, across from The Falcon.
Explore majors and career paths through the following resources:
- "Choosing a Major" Guide
- Recorded Choosing a Major Presentation by CPDC Director
- Complete Listing of Majors and Minors at Messiah
- Academic Catalog - view major information, curriculum, and course descriptions
- FOCUS: An Online Career Assessment Tool
- Explore Career Paths by Major
- What Can I Do with a Major in?
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (from the Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Information Interview Guide: How to Connect with Professionals in Your Field of Interest
- Information Interview: Desiging Your Career video covers the essential elements help you learn, look for work, or 'prototype' new experiences effectively.
Start by reviewing the Resume Writing Guide. Then, bring in a draft of your document and any related materials to be reviewed by a student career coach, or schedule an appointment through the Handshake portal. Use your Messiah username and password to access the system.
Job Hero - a helpful tool for resume building that includes samples
- Job Search Planning Guide - a successful search involves much more than applying to online postings!
- Job & Internship Search Resources During COVID-19
- Building Your Professional Network / LinkedIn - connections with professionals in your field of interest are key in a successful search.
- Personal Branding and Social Media - create a compelling, professional, and searchable image!
- Handshake - Messiah's Job & Internship Search Portal
- Elevator pitch - Designing Your Career: The Elevator Conversation
- The "outsider problem" for job seekers - This video gives context to frame the two most powerful tools in designing your career: Networking and Informational Interviewing.
- Job Hero - Use this as a brainstorming tool to help in the job application process.
- Networking in an Online Grad Program (applicable to all programs)
- The Networking Reframe
- How to connect with Messiah Alumni using LinkedIn
- Thank you letters: when to use them and samples
- How to Write A Professional Email
There are many ways to find job and internship postings. Here are some to get you started:
Handshake - Messiah's Job & Internship Search Portal (use your Messiah username and password to log in)
Buzzfile's List of Employers by Major/State (*not linked to Messiah's majors, specifically)
PA CareerLink - you must create an account for access
The following self-assessment tools are available through the CPDC:
The sources listed below provide further information about a variety of career development topics:
Negotiating Job Offers
Relocation and Cost of Living Tools