Mental Health Emergency - Dial 988
Messiah University students can access immediate medical and mental health (TalkNow) appointments 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by registering at TimelyCare. TimelyCare is not intended to replace Messiah Dispatch or 911 in cases of emergency medical or mental health crisis.
In the event of a medical emergency, please call 911 for ambulance transport to a local hospital. After calling 911, please notify the Department of Safety at x6005 (717-691-6005) so they may escort the ambulance to your location on campus. All hospitals, urgent care centers and area pharmacies will need to see your insurance card and photo ID. After seeking urgent care off-campus, please follow up with Engle Center medical staff so we may assist you with any follow-up care you may require.
After Hours Mental Health/Sexual Assault Emergency Assistance
On-Campus Mental Health Emergency Assistance: contact the college Dispatch Officer at Ext. 6005 or 717-691-6005 and the Dispatch Officer will put you in touch with the Residence Life, on-call Engle Center counselor or other appropriate college professional who can provide you with the assistance you need.
Off-Campus 24 hour 7 days/week emergency mental health and sexual assault resources:
- Dial 988 for the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. There is hope. Providing 24/7, free and confidential support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress works. The Lifeline helps thousands of people overcome crisis situations every day.
- Penn State Health Holy Spirit Medical Center Crisis Intervention Services 717-763-2222 or 1-866-350-4357.
- CONTACT HELPLINE 717-652-4400 or Tollfree 1-800-932-4616 Provides free, confidential listening, health and human services information & referral 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for Central Pennsylvania.
- Crisis Text Line: text HELP to 741-741
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free national suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis. If you need help, please dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- For information on what to do if you are concerned someone may be suicidal, click here
- Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Services of Cumberland County provides counseling, advocacy and services for adult and child victims of sexual assault. They can be reached at 717-258-4324 during office hours at YWCA Carlisle, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Volunteers counselors staff a 24 hour toll-free rape crisis Hotline (888-727-2877). Clients can also receive services at the Victim Services office in Camp Hill. All Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Services are free and confidential.
- Medical Treatment for Sexual Assault: (see here for local hospital ER addresses)
- UPMC Pinnacle Harrisburg Hospital Emergency Room: 717-782-3131
UPMC Pinnacle Carlisle Regional Medical Center Emergency Room 717-249-1212
Geisinger Holy Spirit Hospital Emergency Room 717-763-2100
- Domestic Violence Services of Cumberland and Perry Counties provides 24 hr. emergency support, legal advocacy, counseling, shelter and other assistance. HOTLINE: 1-800-852-2102